Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Who turned off the fan?

July 6,2011
Damn it's hot! Not sure exactly what I want to write about today so random thoughts it will be..haha
My sweet Aunt Myrtle (deceased Jan 2007) had glacoma, scarry thought losing your eye sight so she kept up with all eye appts. for sure.  One I will remember 4 ever!! Mid June 2003, She was to have surgery for the glacoma and cataracts. The night before the surgery I had her spend the night with me here in Alba. She was not in the habit of spending the night away from home so this was going to be an adventure. She packed her overnight case and away we came to my house.  So much different than hers. She reminded me of how cold I keep my house 100 times in the course of the day, I finally kicked it up to 78 so I would not freeze her to death and gave her my heaviest quilt for the night.   We watched a little TV and she was ready for bed at 830.  June at 830 is still daylight, I get her all bedded down without an electric blanket and she wants a flashlight in case she has to go out (this means pee) So I tried to show her the lamp beside the bed and she just wanted a flashlight.. she didn't think about packing hers.., maybe she would be okay.. she went on and on about the flashlight, I know she was a little nervous but shit.. so .....yep you guessed it.. I found her a flashlight!! Okay here we go..... Kent leaves early for work and always has, well she was up sitting in the kitchen, scarred him to death, not used to people sitting in the kitchen at 400 in the morn, so he wished her well and off he went. Aunt Myrts appt was at 930 in Tyler which is about 45 mins from our house, but we would need to leave early in case......in case of what I never knew...So I got up early too and fixed her breakfast, she told me exactly what she wanted and I enjoyed fixing my Great Aunt's breakfast.     1 sausage, 1 egg over easy not to runny, 1 piece dry toast, 1 cup of coffee.  Nothing more nothing less.  I had the exact meal. I now know why she was so skinny all her life.  (the lack of food is the secret) got the house in order as she would say and then got on the rode early for the surgery, every thing went as expected. They wanted to see her bright and early the next morning. So I thought we will just go get her some more clothes and back to my house....WRONG!!! She wanted to go home.  I could not let her stay by herself after the eye surgery, we had a list of drops, pills, and every pill had a different time to take and a one drop in the left eye 2 in the right take a pill hold head back...Lord it was going to take a nursing staff to do all that, SO I got my clothes and spent the night with My Great Aunt. in a 100 yr old house with no A/C. 
It was going to be a really loooooonnnnnnngggggg nite..I asked her if she had a fan, she did have a fan, she would have to get it out of the closet. Lord.  She brings out this pristine 1940 something model General Electric oscillating fan in the original box. Me: Does it work?? Her: It did the last time I used it. Me: when was that? Her: Can't remember. Lordy. Just sitting in her kitchen watching TV with her I have broke a sweat a middle linebacker would be proud of. She never plugged in the fan.  Her: Well it is 830 time for bed. Me: What? I have just finished dosing her will all the meds and flushing her eyes with drops and now we just go to bed.. At this point I tell her: Aunt Myrtle I am melting!  Can I take a shower to cool off before I go to bed? She reminds me it's only Thursday?! Me: It not about the hygenie its about survival. If I don't cool off before I go to bed I will burst into flames. She allows me to take a shower, I thank her from the bottom of my thermostat. I normally don't sleep in to many clothes, but some how I knew this would not fly well with Myrt so I get out of a cool shower only to put on a tshirt and underwear.  I sneak my wash rag to bed with me so I can cover my face, or I should say eyebrow.  (it was a rag, tiny little rag to wash my fat body with) I get to sleep in Aunt Lilly's room, this is where I will bake for the nite, and   THE FAN IS ON!! Hell to the yes!!! WAIT.......the bed is on the far side of the room. the only electric plug is on the opposite side of the room with a 2 foot cord.  Only 1 speed on the fan! Jesus Christ.  NO AUNT MYRTLE I DON'T NEED A BLANKET!!!!!!  but thanks for asking.  I am her guest so it would not be good to drag the bed over closer to the fan, I am thinking about sleeping in the floor with my nose/head/body within inches of the scarriest fan you have ever seen.  Machetie looking blades, and I would turn over and slice my ear off...No I will make this work....1 Oscillating fan, 1 speed, SLOW, seemed liked 50 feet away, sundown barely and it was 99 degrees in the house.  She is snoring I peek in on her, she is under a sheet and light blanket, the windows are open and not a breath of air is stirring the curtains.  Holy Mother of God.  I will surely parish in this heat.
I am miserable.  About ever 10 turns of the fan I feel a wisp of air A Wisp of Air!! My little eyebrow rag is trying so hard to comfort me..................Sweet Jesus, is that Aunt Myrtle cooking breakfast already??? I am exhausted I truly melted, my tshirt, underwear and sheets are soaking wet, and she has the burners on cooking breakfast. me:   Hey, Aunt Myrtle, I will buy you a donut on the way to the dr. office?  Just give me a few minutes and I................Her: Breakfast is ready.. 1 sausage, 1 egg, 1 piece of dry toast and 1 cup of HOT coffee.......Me:  thank you be there in a minute.  Her: Be sure and put that fan away I won't be using it.
Me: Yes Ma'am!
GOD BLESS AIR CONDITIONING..
Okay Carla, Net and Pam, I updated my blog!  Love Love..
Mike and Penny, I hope you enjoy this.

1 comment: