Yep, that is the day the Lord blessed us with Janie Lorene. Tonite I fixed her birthday supper and the stories started rolling. BAck then we had just finished having a birthday party for Grand Pa Buster on the 18th and I had ate so much cantalope I was miserable. NOt only stuffed from eating but I was approx 9month and 12 day pregnant. Kent rolled my big ass home and called his Mom. She told me it probably was just gas. I love, loved her for her humor. Hell Hughlene I knew it was cantalope. Anyway, Kent called her back about 3 am the next morning, the 19th, she told us to call the ER so we did. They told us to come on to Sul. Spgs and they would examine me. We called Hughlene again and told her we were on the way to the hospital. Kents brother Tony beat me and Kent to the hospital. First borns are such a mystery and make other people act wierd... I thought I would go into body racking pain with labor and come home with a baby, so I never even thought it was anymore than indigestion from tons of cantalope. We lived approx 30 miles from the hospital and they would not let us go home. We would be bringing home a baby. We made all the necessary calls, Jack and Hughlene (again) My Mom and Doe, brother and sisters Aunts and uncle, granny and grand Pas, all because of that damn cantalope!!!Well I didn't pack anything, so when we called Hughlene to come on she had to pack my bag for me. Ya'll can imagine what all she packed for me.
Well, now it was the 19th of July and guess where my regular Dr was? on vacation, so his on call guy would be Kent's best friend for the duration of this birthing process. The Dr spoke very little English so Kent caught very little information about the process and why it was taking me so long to spit this child out. Non english speaking Dr. told Kent NOT GAS..BABY! And The only other thing Kent could get out of him for sure was "BIG BABY" that's all the Dr kept saying. Not GAs Big BABY...The next day rolls around 20th I was so tired of being in the Labor and delivery room by myself I finally ask if I could just go sit with my family in the lobby. The agreed..The look on everyones face was one of those priceless moments. This whole time I was having contractions and in labor but they didnt think I was dialated the way i should be so I just waited with the family in the lobby. I would double over and Uncle Paul would scream for me. I love him for that. He finally could not take it anymore and went home. Kent said he told him I wouldn't care if it was a lizard at this point just give us something.
Kent...poor thing he had to endure his mom my mom and all the grannies. His dad would just say take her somewhere else!!! My dad would go outside and smoke. Kent stayed up right along with me for 3 days, when I slept he did to.
Finally the non English speaking Dr. told Kent C-Section....Never even thought to ask for one of those. It seems like my baby girl was turned wrong and they could not turn her the right way, was hoping she would turn by herself. Not my girl!! By God she was comfortable and no one was changing that!!
So Early in the A.M. on July 21, 1981 our baby girl was given to Kent. I came out of recovery on my way to my room before I ever knew it was a girl. That NOT GAS BIG BABY weighed a whooping 7lbs. 2 oz. But then in 3 days she probably did lose 5 lbs, who knows?
My My medicine and the whole process has changed so much 29 years later.
I remember my Mom telling us that when the time came for her to have babies, she went to the hospital Daddy went to the bar, they knocked her out and when she woke up poof! she had a baby and Daddy was sleeping it off. This process was repeated 4 times for her. Thanks MOM for telling me about the birthing process!!!
Happy Birthday Janie, I would do it again 10 times if another you was guaranteed to me! Love you baby girl, good night...Mom...smooch smooch!
Awe...what a sweet story! Happy belated B-Day Janie, love you!
ReplyDelete